Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

Shiver - A Review



Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Information taken from the Barnes and Noble website:

  • Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
  • Pub. Date: August 2009
  • ISBN-13: 9780545123266
  • Age Range: Young Adult
  • 400pp

Synopsis

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.


My Thoughts:

Okay I don't know how to say this any better than this, I freaking LOVED this book!!! It is by far the best book I have read in months. I was hooked from page one and had the urge to devour it in one setting. I controlled that urge though. I wanted to savor every moment of the book and not rush through it.

Grace and Sam's story is amazing and Maggie did a fantastic job telling it. Not only were the main characters great, she created a world of 3 dimensional characters for me. I can imagine every character clearly in my mind. The other characters are not just fluff either, they all have well written stories and personalities. It's just awesome!

Maggie's writing is incredibly poetic and lyrical. There is such an amazing flow to her storytelling. She makes you want to keep reading long after all the pages have been turned. I can't wait to read Linger and can't believe I have another year to wait until I can read more about Grace and the wolves.

If you are thinking about buying this book, Do! You will not regret it.

Thank you Maggie for telling such a beautiful story!!

6 comments:

Scott said...

Oh wow. This sounds super neat. You write with such enthusiasm, I feel like I have no choice but to check it out.

Aimee said...

I have been hearing so many great things about this book, but I think your review had the most enthusiasm. I will definitely be picking up this book soon. Great review!
P.S. I love your blog layout and your cat!

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

You crack me up..... glad to hear you loved the book. This is one I have been watching from a distance yet the reviews are all pretty much like yours where people are really enjoying this book.

Nely said...

OMG I SOOO freakin loved this book too! I finished it last night and I just wish it wouldn't have finished.... I loved it, loved it, loved it! Love your review.

Anonymous said...

this is on my wishlist. I can't wait to get my hands on it. It certainly looks like a great book. Great review.

Wrighty said...

I can't wait to read this one! I've only heard wonderful comments about. So glad you liked it too!