Pages

Friday, August 7, 2009

Mating Rituals of the North American WASP - A Review

Information and Synopsis from B&N:

  • Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
  • Pub. Date: May 2009
  • ISBN-13: 9780446197977
  • 368pp
After arguing with her live-in boyfriend about his inability to commit, Peggy Adams flies to a friend's bachelorette party in Las Vegas, and wakes up next to a man she can't remember. Hung-over and miserable, she sneaks out of the sleeping man's hotel room and returns home to New York, where her boyfriend apologizes for the fight and gives her a Tiffany box containing a pre-engagement ring. Not what she expected, but close enough! The next day she receives a phone call from the Las Vegas one-night stand, Luke, claiming she's already married to him¬-and he faxes her the license for proof! Both are ready for an annulment, until Peggy arrives in quaint New Nineveh, CT, where Luke cares for his Great Aunt, and the old woman makes Peggy an offer she can't refuse.

My review:

This isn't my normal reading genre but I really enjoyed this book. The characters were realistic, if not aggravatingly stubborn and bull headed at times. I'm pretty sure that was the author's intention though.

I loved Luke's Aunt Abigail. She's spunky and fiesty and maybe a tad loony but she's so dang likeable you can't help but cheer her on through out the book.

The main characters were stubborn and bullheaded like I mentioned. Peggy more so than Luke. Sometimes I really, really wanted to grab ahold of Peggy and shake some common sense into, or slap her, or tell her to wake the heck up already.

Luke wasn't nearly as bad but he did have his moments when he needed someone to knock him silly too.

I actually think that's part of what made the book so good. It made me feel invested in the characters and any book that can do that gets thumbs up from me!

3 comments:

Cat said...

I had to laugh when this post was the first one in my google reader this morning - since I am currently battling a hidden nest of wasps right over my front door (which I posted about on my non-book blog)! Stupid things won't go away.

Maybe if I make them martinis?

Zia said...

LOL that would be funny!

Serena said...

I really loved this book. I'm glad you enjoyed it.