Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A to Z Wednesday



Go to your stack of books and find one whose title starts with the letter of the week.
Post:
1~ a photo of the book
2~ title and synopsis
3~ link(amazon, barnes and noble etc.)
4~ Come back here and leave your link in the comments
Be sure to visit other participants to see what book they have posted and leave them a comment.
(We all love comments, don't we?)
Who knows? You may find your next "favorite" book.

THIS WEEKS LETTER IS: J
Joan of Arc - Mark Twain

Synopsis

When JOAN OF ARC was first published in Harper's magazine in 1895, the reading public did not recognize Mark Twain behind it. It is ostensibly a translation of Sieur Louis de Conte's memoirs, the one person who was with Joan during the three important stages of her life: as a visionary village peasant, as a military genius and as the defendant at her trial. The narrator, quiet, retiring and sentimental, is quite unlike the true author.

Twain was fascinated by Joan. He spent 12 years in research and made many attempts before finally getting the story right. He wanted to laud Joan for her unique role in history. He was able to do so after studying contemporary accounts written by both sides, the French and the English.

This is my husbands book. Believe it or not I don't have a "J" book in my library.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a hard letter for me too.

Thanks for playing!

gautami tripathy said...

I read this long time back!

A-Z Wednesday: Just Say Yes by Betina Krahn

Nise' said...

Great choice. I have not read a book about Joan of Arc.

Unknown said...

Ohhhh I'd read that.
Mine is Here

Kristen said...

I didn't know Twain had written on Joan of Arc. The fascinating things you learn popping around the blogosphere with this meme!

Mine is here.

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of this one. Thanks.

Beth F said...

New one to me -- Joan was interesting person.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Wow! Who knew Mark Twain wrote about Joan of Arc? Sounds fascinating.

I also had a hard time with "J." Had to go through ALL my stacks!

My post is here:

http://weboftyranny.blogspot.com

Shore Debris said...

Hmmm, I didn't know Mark Twain wrote about her either. I may have to pick that one up as I'm not well versed on Joan of Arc.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Haven't read this book, but did see a movie about here a few years ago. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

kayerj said...

You chose a great title, and a great story. I've never read the book but I love the movie. You inspire me to try the book. If you want to wander down my road I’m home.

me again said...

Good choice; I'd like to read this.
==lennie==

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

I am fascinated with Joan of Arc as well. What a great looking read!

Anonymous said...

Hi, new to your blog, and I was brought here by Joan! I am a member of the Krewe de Jeanne d;Arc in new Orleans, and I maintain the facebook page.. do you mind if I like your page?

Celticlady's Reviews said...

I have notread any Joan of Arc and by Mark Twain no less...

beth said...

I never knew about Twain's Joan of Arc either. Likes like J the letter fo undiscovered works by well-known authors.

Anonymous said...

Quick question. When you said the you have 3000 books, that was a combo of yours and hubby's?

Zia said...

I don't have 3000 books lol. That was just part of the Thursday meme question. Least I think that's where you're getting the number from. I have approx 400-500 most of which are mine, but my husband has some mixed in too.

Anonymous said...

LOLOL! Now I feel like a total idiot. Let me go back and read the dang thing again. LOLOLOL (some more)