Pages

Friday, October 23, 2009

The Postmitress - A Review

The Postmistress - Sarah Blake ( I received this from B&N First Look Book Club for discussion on their site)

Synopsis

Filled with stunning parallels to today's world, The Postmistress is a sweeping novel about the loss of innocence of two extraordinary women-and of two countries torn apart by war.
On the eve of the United States's entrance into World War II in 1940, Iris James, the postmistress of Franklin, a small town on Cape Cod, does the unthinkable: She doesn't deliver a letter. In London, American radio gal Frankie Bard is working with Edward R. Murrow, reporting on the Blitz. One night in a bomb shelter, she meets a doctor from Cape Cod with a letter in his pocket, a letter Frankie vows to deliver when she returns from Germany and France, where she is to record the stories of war refugees desperately trying to escape.
The residents of Franklin think the war can't touch them- but as Frankie's radio broadcasts air, some know that the war is indeed coming. And when Frankie arrives at their doorstep, the two stories collide in a way no one could have foreseen. The Postmistress is an unforgettable tale of the secrets we must bear, or bury. It is about what happens to love during wartime, when those we cherish leave. And how every story-of love or war-is about looking left when we should have been looking right.

My Thoughts:

I'm not sure what I think of this book yet. I'm grappling with my own thoughts. The book bounced around a little bit in the beginning but after a couple chapters settled into a nice rhythm. I felt myself being drawn into the story and it kept me turning pages to see what was coming next.

I think I was expecting something different than what I got. It's not a bad thing mind you, I enjoyed the book, It just wasn't what I was expecting.

I have to be honest, the synopsis for me, was misleading and it had a direct effect on me while I was reading the book. I wish the blurb would get rewritten. While everything in the synopsis is in the book, it just doesn't reflect the story very well. I spend the majority of my time wondering when certain events were going to happen, and while I was waiting, there was a decent story going on in the background. A story I would've enjoyed more had I not been looking for and waiting on things to happen.

There was a lot of great information about WWII in the pages, stuff I never knew about. I found myself going online and looking stuff up to read more. This was what I enjoyed most about the story, learning new things.

My final thoughts, I enjoyed the story. The characters were well written and I'm glad I got to read this story regardless of my dislike for the synopsis and the effect it had on me.

7 comments:

Jo-Jo said...

Great review...I'm hoping I can get a copy of this one myself. I know what you mean about having an odd feeling when the synopsis and the book just don't match up.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

Thanks for the honest review. I hate it when that happens with the book description not really matching the story line.

It has happened to me numerous times.

fredamans said...

Great review! I think I may want to read it now.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I requested this one via Shelf Awareness. Interesting review.

Kailana said...

I had heard about this book earlier in the year, but had forgotten all about it! Thanks for a great review to remind me about it again. :)

Anna said...

Sorry this was a bit disappointing for you, but it still sounds like an interesting book. I love the cover.

I hope it's okay that I linked to your review here.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Zia said...

Anna - Yes that is more than okay that you linked my review. Thanks for letting me know!