Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Call Me Sonya Grey - A Review


Call Me Sonya Grey - Sonya Tupone Lloyd

Call Me Sonya Grey
A Young Girl's Poems
About Death, Life & Adolescence
SONYA TUPONE LLOYD

This personal collection of poetic verse is at once inspiring and challenging. Beginning with the loss of her mother at age nine, Sonya began collecting her thoughts in 40 poems in a diary from early childhood through her twenties. She describes the daily battles of self-image and self-expression she experienced growing up after the passing of one parent and the estrangement of another. With the death of her mother, Sonya lost a part of everything she had known. Two states away, she finds herself with a different family, school, friends, home and a new name. The verses written during this time are one woman s exploration of her raw, emotional responses to dramatic life changes. This is Sonya's story.

I received a request from Tribute offering me the chance to review some of their books. I went online and immediately this one called out to me.

Now I'm no poetry expert or critic by any means, but I really enjoyed this book and the poems within. I was able to understand the authors battles with self image and expression, which is why I think her poems will ring true to many young people. I almost wished the book had more poems in it, but at the same time I was able to spend more time enjoying the ones it had.

Here is one that I particularly felt a kinship with:
First Kiss

Fair haired boy, I will bestow a kiss on you.

Your seraphic face upturned to mine.
Your creamy white skin leaning over mine.
Your melting eyes intensely on mine.

The sheen of my hair covers
Us in murky shadow
While your eyes mesmerize
In our iridescent embrace

Your dusky eyelashes touch
My honey brown cheek
Your slender fingers curve
Around my beating heart

Your lips on mine are a silky touch
I have never known

If you are a fan of poetry, I think you will enjoy this collection of poems.

4 comments:

fredamans said...

This looks like a definite book for me!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Very lyrical! And what a fabulous cover.

Tribute Books said...

Thanks for the review - it is much appreciated!

tea said...

You have written a beautiful review. Thanks for sharing "Call Me Sonya Grey."