Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Booking Through Thursay

It's been awhile since I've done one of these, but this question caught my attention.


Do you read book reviews? Do you let them change your mind about reading/not reading a particular book?

I do read book reviews but always after I've read the book myself. Especially if I plan on reviewing them myself.

Once I do a review, I'll go back and read others reviews to see what they thought. For example I've heard over and over the past couple years about how great the Hunger Games and Catching Fire were. I just finished listening to both on audio and have had one review posted and the second to come this week. I haven't read any reviews yet other than hearing people say how good they were. I'm always afraid the reviews will drop a spoiler or something so I avoid them.

So generally I let word of mouth pull me towards or away from a book, not reviews.

7 comments:

Allison said...

I totally agree with you on word of mouth over reviews.

Amber at The Musings of ALMYBNENR said...

I read them when it catches my eye, but by the time I read them myself (my TBR is HUGE) I've had enough distance to share my own thoughts without the influence.

Here's my Booking Through Thursday!

Yvonne said...

I don't let reviews influence me reading choices, but I will go back and read other reviews after to see if others felt as I did.

Gigi Ann said...

I read reviews, before and after reading a book.

Jennie said...

I hate when reviews spoil books...it makes me crazy!

Alayne said...

Good idea, I hate reading spoilers in reviews which is also why I don't read reviews of the book I'm currently reading. My BTT is at The Crowded Leaf.

Marce said...

I hate spoilers in reviews also, I do like when they are added with a Spoiler Alert though because I can respond accordingly if I have read it.