Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Our Vacation to the San Juan Islands

Okay normally I don't post a whole lot of personal stuff on my blog. I don't know why, but I just had to share some pictures from our trip to the Lopez Island (one of the islands in the San Juan Island chain). My Brother in Laws girfriends family owns a small cabin on a private beach on Lopez and they invited us up to spend a few days with their family. I am so glad we went. I fell in love with the islands and can't wait to go back.

On the way to Lopez from Anacortes, Wa.


The ferry dock on Lopez welcoming us.

The view from the front door (the beach is literally 15 ft from the door)

Friday Harbor on San Juan Island. We island hopped over the day before we had to leave to eat some very yummy homemade ice cream.

A sailboat sailing into the sunset as we were docked at Orcas Island, waiting to go back to Lopez.


Lopez saying goodbye to us. This was our sunset on the last night we were there. It was breathtaking literally. Looked like the sky was on fire.

I fell in love with the islands and can't wait to go back. I had a cold the entire time I was there, but I really didn't care. I loved spending time with family and beach combing every morning. I gathered up so many shells to bring home (which I put in jars to remember our trip). We're only an hour away from the beach where we live now, but you never find whole shells there. Too much foot traffic I guess, but on Lopez our beach was private and the shells were everywhere.

Lopez Village is this tiny, quaint town with great shops, yummy restaurants and great people. My souvenir gathering this trip was bookmarks and I came home with about 8 or 9. We went to their Saturday Market and there was so much fantastic homemade stuff and yummy organic foods.

There is no hunting on the island and there was deer everywhere and bunnies galore! We befriended a local bunny who lived next to the cabin and I think we all wanted to bring him home with us. Though I highly doubt our 3 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 bird would have been too thrilled with the idea.

We had no cell service at the cabin (had to walk up the beach a ways to get messages from home). I have to admit being unplugged for 5 days was almost refreshing. Only checking my phone 2 times a day was nice. We truly got the opportunity to relax and enjoy our surroundings.

I've been home 3 days and I already miss the island and the atmosphere there. I really can't wait to go back and explore the islands some more!

7 comments:

Wildflowerhouse said...

We have sailed for years in the San Juans and the Gulf Islands and I totally agree with you. So hard to come back to the rat race. Time stands still and is so precious there. Sadly this year we sold our wonderful sailboat. But i will go back.

Wildflowerhouse said...

We have sailed for years in the San Juans and the Gulf Islands and I totally agree with you. So hard to come back to the rat race. Time stands still and is so precious there. Sadly this year we sold our wonderful sailboat. But i will go back.

Brittanie said...

Wow. Your pictures are great. I just got back from vacation in Orange Beach, AL. It is next to Gulf Shores. :)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Your photos are so awesome.

Cecelia said...

The San Juans! In summer! I miss Washington State, I really do. My family vacationed at Roche Harbor on San Juan Island one year, and another year on Orcas. It was lovely. *sigh* And now I'm on the other side of the country...

I agree with the others - beautiful pictures!

fredamans said...

Beautiful.

Next time, take me with you.

;-)

Ryan said...

Sounds like a wonderful place to be and one that I would love to visit. I'm glad you had a great time.