Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Life As We Knew It - A Review

Life As We Knew It - Susan Beth Pfeffer (own)

Synopsis:


Miranda’s disbelief turns to fear in a split second when a meteor knocks the moon closer to the earth. How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun? As summer turns to Arctic winter, Miranda, her two brothers, and their mother retreat to the unexpected safe haven of their sunroom, where they subsist on stockpiled food and limited water in the warmth of a wood-burning stove.
    
Told in journal entries, this is the heart-pounding story of Miranda’s struggle to hold on to the most important resource of all—hope—in an increasingly desperate and unfamiliar world.

My Thoughts:

What a powerful little book. First I find myself reading with curiosity of what was going to happen, which slowly turned into fear of what did happen. Which left me wanting to not put the book down to see how it ends.

What I really liked and even disliked at times were the realness of the characters. Reading Miranda's journal of events and her reactions was uplifting and aggravating to say it best. Her responses to what was happening around her we so real, I had to remind myself it was a book of fiction. I felt her fears, her anxieties, I even felt her irritation of how unfair things were. That right there makes this a great read. I love when a book makes me feel like I'm there experiencing what the narrator is. 

It almost hard to put into words how this book affected me. So many what ifs this happens in real life. How would I react? How would my children handle this? How would the world at large? I can tell you this book made me want to stockpile. It made me wish I had a bigger garage heh. It made me think. 

I'm looking forward to reading book two. Seeing this event through a different set of eye in a different area in the county. See how they handled it. See how it was different for them. Seriously if you get a chance, read this book. You won't regret it. Though you might want some tissues handy. 

Author's Website: Susan Beth Pfeffer

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey you! Long time. :) I'm making my way around to the blogs I use to subscribe too. Been away long enough that I have no fear of getting back into book blogging.

Anyway, I have book three. Book two wasn't my favorite, not compared to one, but I still enjoyed it. The author gets deep into the character's emotions.

So...

Where's your email subscribe thing? Am I missing it?

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Nice review! And so glad to see you enjoyed it. :) Thank you!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I am glad you liked it. Really hope you like the second one... its the third one that seems like she lost the vision.

Martha Eskuchen said...

I am interested in this series. Thanks for sharing your review.