Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

All Wounds - A Review

All Wounds - Dina James (contest win)

Synopsis:


It's said that when opportunity knocks on your door, you have only one chance to take it.
No one said what you're supposed to do when it kicks it.
All Rebecca MacDonnell wants to do is get through high school with grades good enough to win a prestigious scholarship so that she can finally leave her miserable life behind. One evening, after a particularly bad day, she finds out that people other than her aging grandmother need her help, and desperately so.
Well, not "people," exactly. Vampires, werewolves, demons, ghosts, goblins, and other things thought only imaginary all need help sometime, and Rebecca was born with the unique ability to heal ethereal beings. She is about to turn seventeen, the age at which her talent will manifest in its entirety, and become a true Healer...if she lives through the event. A war between various ethereal factions is brewing, and Healers are a valuable commodity to any side. Those who wish to harness Rebecca's manifesting healing powers for their own purposes must get to her before her seventeenth birthday.

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed this book. It was fast paced and kept me reading from beginning to end. 
The characters are fantastic! Rebecca is young and inexperienced girl, who has to put up with crap from people at her school and taking care of an ailing grandma. When she learns she's a healer and all those creepy paranormal things are real, she handled it pretty well considering. I might have crumbled. I loved how healers in this book are neutral not on anyone's side and willing to help all who come to her assistance. You don't see that often. I'm kind of excited to see how her character grows in the next book.
Now on to the other characters. Billy. OMG this wolf-man is just awesome. I love how protective of Rebecca he is and his cute nickname he has for her, Bit. He's like a big teddy bear, only wolf, who has this appetite that will leave any reader rummaging through the cupboards looking for whatever is available to snack on. If I could eat like he does and not put on a gazillion pounds, it would be heaven lol. 
Syd is a master vampire and Rebecca trainer/mentor. Lets just say I'm very interested to see where this character goes. Robin is Rebecca's friend who is there to help her in situations that she might need. Ryan is pretty cool too.
All in all a great book and I look forward to the next one to come. You can bet I will be keeping my eye out for it. 

Author's Website: Dina James

3 comments:

Ryan said...

It sounds like an interesting premise so I'm looking forward to any reviews you do of further books in the series.

Vicki said...

Not my type of book, but glad you enjoyed it so much!!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh, soooo glad you loved this one too. :) I think it's amazing and wish I could talk more people into reading it. Really a great read. :)

Billy is just an amazing wolfman. ;D lol. And Syd, well, I fell for Syd hard. lol.