Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Darkhouse - A Review

Darkhouse - Karina Halle (author)

Synopsis:

There’s always been something a bit off about Perry Palomino. Though she’s been dealing with a quarter-life crisis and post-college syndrome like any other twentysomething, she’s still not what you would call “ordinary.” For one thing, there’s her past which she likes to pretend never happened, and then there’s the fact that she sees ghosts. Luckily for her, that all comes in handy when she stumbles across Dex Foray, an eccentric producer for an upcoming webcast on ghost hunters. Even though the show’s budget is non-existent and Dex himself is a maddening enigma, Perry is instantly drawn into a world that both threatens her life and seduces her with a sense of importance. Her uncle’s haunted lighthouse provides the perfect catalyst and backdrop for a mystery that unravels the threads of Perry’s fragile sanity and causes her to fall for a man, who, like the most dangerous of ghosts, may not be all that he seems.

My Thoughts:

The setting of the book, I admit, is what called to me. Being from Oregon I love stories that take place here. Add the fact that is a bit mystery and a bit ghost story, just adds to the draw.

It started off a bit slow but soon picked up pace and I found myself drawn into the story. Perry is an interesting character filled with self doubt and Dex is this strange yet magnetic character I found myself drawn too.

I loved the mystery surround the lighthouse. While I did not find the book scary by any means, I did really enjoy the suspense created. To me that's what's important.

I know some would not give a second glance because it's a self published novel, but I think it was a solid start to a series.


3 comments:

Irene said...

I wish my uncle would have a haunted lighthouse. Nothing wrong with self published books also, Thanks for your review. Where was your source?

Kailana said...

A haunted lighthouse is a creative idea. Sounds interesting!

Ryan said...

Love lighthouses, love ghost stories, and love Oregon. I think I want this one.