Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl - A Review

The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl - Barry Lyga (own)

Synopsis:

For most of his life, Donnie's followed his mother's advice, given when he was first picked on by bullies in grade school: ignore them. He lives mostly under the radar, both at school and at home, sailing through classes and working on his graphic novel, Schemata. His life sucks, but at least he knows what to expect. The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl relates what happens when someone notices him really notices him for the first time.

Mysterious goth girl Kyra, dressed in black and with an attitude just as dark, forces her way into his life, renaming him Fanboy. A loner in her own right, Kyra challenges Fanboy's perceptions of his possibilities. When Fanboy's longtime friend Cal starts hanging out with the jocks that have always made Fanboy's life a living hell, Kyra steps in to fill the void. She convinces him that greatness lies within reach, if only he can convince comic book guru Bendis to take a look at his graphic novel . . .

Author Barry Lyga, a comic book fan in his own right, writes intimately and respectfully about how the world sees and is seen by marginalized, creative, and conflicted teens whose only difference from those around them is that they read and write about superheroes.


My Thoughts:

I'm going to keep this short and simple. I liked this book. Better than I thought I would. I found Fanboy to be an interesting character. This book is mostly about Fanboy growing up, trying to fit in and rebel all at the same time. Making new friends, losing some. Learning more about the person within.

To be honest I was most intrigued by Goth Girl. I want to know more about this character, what makes her tick, her history. Why she is the way she is. I guess I'll be hunting up Goth Girl Rising and reading that one as well.

Author's Website: Barry Lyga

0 comments: