Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dancing on Broken Glass - A Review

Dancing on Broken Glass - Ka Hancock (publisher)


Overview

An unvarnished portrait of a marriage that is both ordinary and extraordinary, Dancing on Broken Glass takes readers on an unforgettable journey of the heart.
Lucy Houston and Mickey Chandler probably shouldn’t have fallen in love, let alone gotten married. They’re both plagued with faulty genes—he has bipolar disorder; she, a ravaging family history of breast cancer. But when their paths cross on the night of Lucy’s twenty-first birthday, sparks fly, and there’s no denying their chemistry.
Cautious every step of the way, they are determined to make their relationship work—and they put their commitment in writing. Mickey will take his medication. Lucy won’t blame him for what is beyond his control. He promises honesty. She promises patience. Like any marriage, there are good days and bad days—and some very bad days. In dealing with their unique challenges, they make the heartbreaking decision not to have children. But when Lucy shows up for a routine physical just shy of their eleventh anniversary, she gets an impossible surprise that changes everything. Everything. Suddenly, all their rules are thrown out the window, and the two of them must redefine what love really is.

My Thoughts:
I am struggling with my thoughts on this one even as I type this I am unsure what I will write. 

Let me start by saying this book is really, really good and solid story. I couldn't stop reading it even when I wanted too. I want you to keep this in mind as I continue with my review. It really was a great book. Yes there is a "but" in here. 

The book deals with so many dark things, bipolar and incurable cancer. Then you have the light things, strong family bonds and pregnancy. You would hope the light would overpower the dark and balance the book and it might for some. It did not for me. There was so much dark going on it dragged my down while I was reading, and in between times when I had put it down. The story kept tugging at me. To be honest it is downright depressing for pretty much the entire book. Yet no matter how depressing it was and how much it dragged me down, I kept on. I had to know how it ended.

I don't want people not to read this book, but I want people aware of how serious the subject matter is in this book. Maybe I'm super sensitive to the subject matter and it won't affect others the way it has me, but at the same time I want someone fully aware of what they are getting into when they read it. 

So in the end, yes read it but be aware. 

Author's webpage: Ka Hancock

2 comments:

Harvee said...

You beat me to it. I recently got this book and plan to read it even though it's really very serious! Nice review.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting an email subscription! I really don't visit my Google Reader much anymore. Speaking of which, Blogger has changed A LOT and I just read when I signed in that they are planning a new look in April. If that's the case, I must be really out of touch. To me, this looks all new. :)