Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Booking Through Thrusday

In general, do you prefer the beginnings of stories? Or the ends?

I haven't participated in this in awhile but I liked this question.

I'm going to go against the grain and say I actually prefer the middle, the meat of the book. If I'm really enjoying a book, then the ending, whether happy or sad, leaves me sad that it's ended. Beginnings can be great but I've read some books lately that have started off slow and built their way up. So generally speaking for me, the middle is the best. It's where we get to know the characters, decide whether or not we like them. The middle is where I find myself immersed into the story. The better the story, the more I find myself getting involved in the book.

I know I didn't answer the question directly, mostly because it really depends on the book, some books the beginnings are awesome, others eh I could do without. Same with endings.

3 comments:

fredamans said...

Gotta love the meat!! lol

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/04/booking-through.html

Lori said...

For me reading a book is like having sex. I require both ends.Here's mine.

Irene said...

I have to agree with you, although if the beginning isn't good, I'm starting to say to H with it and not waiting to the middle. I often find the end is disappointing.